The South Island is well-known for its wonderful fresh produce and my Cooking Tour in Christchurch certainly does not disappoint. You will enjoy true local culture, and wonderful tasteful dishes made with fresh ingredients. This 4.5-hour tour includes an opportunity to harvest fresh vegetables from my organic garden, a full hands-on experiential cooking class followed by lunch in my glass conservatory (sunroom).
I am an avid Gardener and started cultivating my own fresh vegetables since 1985. My organic outdoor garden with glasshouse allows me to grow a wide range of vegetables and herbs. The tour however starts with morning tea served with homemade bakes, in a garden or Orchard location in Christchurch depending on the season. We chat about everything “gardening” or food related whilst we enjoy harvesting for our lunch.
We journey on to select our key organic ingredients and this leisurely talking and cooking experience, will show you just how to make a favourite local New Zealand dish. My menu is interchangeable as I take your food preferences into consideration. The cooking portion of the tour usually takes an hour. We prepare for tasty 2-course lunch in a beautiful setting – either the sun room or outdoor garden area. During winter, we can enjoy our lunch next to a cosy, warm fireplace.
View my other tours to see a snippet of popular and unforgettable tour experiences in New Zealand.
Highlights of the tour – Cooking Tour
• Local homemade cooking experience
• Harvesting vegetables in my organic garden and glass house
• Gardening talk and sharing the hidden gems of Christchurch
• 2 course organic, homemade New Zealand dishes for lunch
Best Time to book
• From October till April is the best season as we have quite a lot of vegetables and fruit in our garden. May to Sept is Winter and not so much production going on, although we do harvest all year round.
• 4.5 hours
|12.00 (noon)||Pick-up transfer from your hotel.|
|12.15||Visit community garden to see local’s vegetable growing programme.|
|12.45||Morning tea with some homemade baking in a garden location or with an organic gardener.|
|13.15||Harvesting of some produce in an orchard or organic garden.|
|13.45||Call into a direct sales Organic shop.|
|14.15||Harvest some vegetables in our garden.|
|14.30||Spend an hour preparing 2 course lunch. Some of the lunch I will have already prepared however happy to cook dishes which guests are interested in.|
|15.30||Enjoy Lunch together in the Garden or Sun room.|
|16.30||Transfer back to hotel|
• An Experienced & Knowledgeable, local Tour Guide
• Transport to and from your Christchurch accommodation to my New Zealand Homes
• Two-course homemade lunch made with fresh organic ingredients. Served with fruit juice, tea / coffee / speciality herbal tea
• Priced from $200 per person