If you are new to Christchurch New Zealand, this is a definite “must-do” tour to discover the many highlights this City has to offer! My tours are flexible and can be tailored to your interests. Browse through the basic Christchurch City Tour, with key attractions to visit in the City and top up with any of the recommended points of interest from my “Top 10 Places to Visit”. My basic Christchurch City Tour will show you why it is called the Garden City combining both the City’s main attractions as well as our beautiful parks. Discover the City post the 2011 Christchurch Earthquake The City features the backdrop of the Port Hills and The Lyttelton Harbour. The Mona Vale Gardens are still beautiful, as always.
Basic Christchurch City Tour
My personalised tour starts with a drive up the Port Hill, to see the spectacular view over the city and across to the Southern Alps. We take a visit to the ‘Sign of the Takahe’, a listed New Zealand Heritage site. This heritage building has great significance both architecturally and historically, with the first stone laid in 1918.
Our next stop takes us to Mona Vale Gardens. Expect to see crystal clear waters of the Avon River running through it. Arguably our most attractive park in Christchurch. This splendid garden offers slopes of green lawn, roses beds reared since 1948, mature trees and historic buildings. Mona Vale Gardens is the ideal wedding and occasion venue, and furthermore offers magnificent High Teas for the day guest.
Next, our journey takes us to the Christchurch Botanic Gardens, Canterbury Museum, Arts Centre and new Cardboard Cathedral. We see the remaining Anglican Cathedral, which has sadly been fenced off. The Christchurch City Tour has the option to enjoy morning or afternoon tea or a 2-course lunch or dinner, at my homestay in Christchurch.
Meal Breaks: (optional extra)
• Morning or Afternoon Tea at $7.50 per person
• Two course lunch or dinner at $35 per person (homemade main meal and delicacies with tea)
Alternative Collection Points will carry an additional charge of:
• Pick-up from Christchurch Airport – $45 from the domestic terminal, and $60 from the International terminal
• Pick-up from the Cruise terminal – $80 (in Lyttleton Harbour) or $400 (in Akaroa Harbour)
• See ‘Tour Itinerary’ for additions, dependent on time availability
My Top 10 Places to Visit!
Here is a list of some great activities to see & do in and around Christchurch. Pick and choose from any of the highlights below, to top up your basic Christchurch City Tour. Each tour experience has an additional price and entrance fee/s may apply. For your convenience, I’ve included the duration of each activity. This however excludes the time to travel to the experience / establishment.
1. Take a drive to Sumner Beach and view the Scarborough Hill from the Cave Rock viewpoint. From here we drive up Evans Pass to view Lyttelton Harbour and then drive into Lyttelton, to view the restored Timeball Station. You will enjoy the buzz of the port. Thereafter, we drive through the main street to see some of the quaint old buildings which survived the 2011 earthquake and return to the City through the tunnel. (duration: 1 hr 15 min)
2. View historical Riccarton House and the original homestead of the Deans family. They were the first settlers from Scotland. Take a short walk through the last remaining Native Bush in Christchurch. (duration: 30 minutes)
3. Drive through Canterbury University grounds and then walk through Ilam Homestead to view the Rhododendrons, Azaleas and spring creek. This was the setting for the Peter Jackson movie – “Heavenly Creatures” (duration: 30 minutes)
4. The Tannery is quite a unique boutique shopping emporium as its set up in a restored factory area. It is completely devoid of chain stores. This is a perfect experience to end your customised tour day. (duration: 30 minutes)
5. Walk along the Pier at Brighton Beach and see the view towards Banks Peninsula. (duration: 40 minutes)
6. Take up punting on the Avon River – the cost is $30. Depending on your hotel location I can finish the tour at this point if you wish. (duration: 30 minutes)
7. Go for a stroll through the Christchurch Botanical gardens with a keen Gardener as your guide. (duration: 40 minutes)
8. Opt for a visit to a private prize-winning garden, with an opportunity to meet the prized Gardener and his work of art. (duration: 50 minutes)
9. Enjoy a leisurely 1hour hike along one of the many coastal hiking tracks, located on the edge of Banks Peninsula (duration: 80 minutes)
10. Meet NZ’s famous wildlife up close and personal. Get to experience an animal encounter, at the Willowbank Wildlife Park and Nature Reserve (duration: 2 hours)
A Definite Must-See experience! Visit New Zealand’s only open range zoo set on an 80-hectare piece of land. Feed the giraffes and get to see lions and rhino up close at the Orana Park Zoo (duration: 4 hours)
Book a visit to the International Antartic Centre for interactive fun (including a 4D theatre!) and loads of exciting activities for all ages. Experience Antartic like blizzard, Little Blue Penguins and Husky dogs ride the Haggelund (duration: 2.5 hours)
I would like to highlight that my tours are all customised and flexible to accommodate your interest, the weather and your traveling schedule.
Highlights of the Christchurch City Tour
• Earthquake 185 White Chair Memorial
• Mona Vale Gardens
• The Arts Centre
• Transitional “Cardboard” Cathedral
• View from above the city to the harbour and across The Canterbury Plains to the Southern Alps
Best Time to book
• The city is at its best in the Spring (September – October). I highly recommend the month of October, for your visit.
• Basic tour – 4 hours
• Optional Extras – 5 – 7 hours, dependent on the number of activities
Flexible starting and finishing time/s
• An Experienced & Knowledgeable, local Tour Guide
• Transport to and from Christchurch City Centre to various key attractions
• Afternoon Tea and Homemade cake or biscuits
• Priced from $160 per person for the Basic Tour